Casinos in Germany
Casinos in Germany have an interesting mix of both state-owned casinos and privately owned casinos. Germany’s gambling and casino companies are split into two main categories. 1) Small scaled gambling halls and arcades called ‘Spielhallen’; 2) both state licensed and privately-owned large-scale casinos called ‘Spielbanken’. The country’s casinos are almost split equally between state-owned casinos and privately owned casinos. The BuPris (Bundesverband deutscher Spielbanken – the Federal Association of German Casinos) represents the privately-owned sector whilst the state-owned land-based casinos are organised by the DSbV e.V. (Der Deutsche Spielbankenverband – The Association of German Casinos).
The BuPris (Bundesverband deutscher Spielbanken)
BupriS is the Bundesverband deutscher Spielbanken founded in October 2008 as BupriS e.V. It was formerly known as the Bundesverband privater Spielbanken in Deutschland e.V. (Federal Association of Private Casinos). As the distinction between state-owned and privately-owned casinos changed with time, the name was updated in 2015. This was meant to assist the consumer with more clear and fact-based regulations.
Federal Association of Private Casinos advocates the responsible regulation of all games of chance, with an aim to protect the consumer. The association works with this aim on all levels – the German and European level vis-à-vis the public, politics, the state and the economy.
BupriS also operates on the facts that the social costs of gambling are well below the social costs of tobacco and alcohol consumption. For example, in 2008, the social costs of gambling in Germany were calculated to be at a total of 326 million euros. These costs also included expenses for player protection and gambling addiction prevention. On the other hand, the social costs of tobacco and alcohol consumption were between € 20 and € 50 billion for tobacco consumption and € 20 to € 30 billion for alcohol consumption – about two hundred times greater.
As per the standards of the World Health Organization (WHO), the social costs of gambling were first determined by Prof. Tilman Becker, Head of the Gambling Research Center at the University of Hohenheim. The results of the Becker study were presented in March 2011 at the annual symposium of the Research Center for Gambling in Hohenheim. A detailed description can be found in: Becker, T .: ‘Social Costs of Gambling‘ by the publisher, Peter Lang-Verlag.
Members of BupriS are casino companies in the federal states of Berlin, Hamburg, Hesse, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Lower Saxony, Rhineland-Palatinate and Saxony-Anhalt, which have a casino license under German gambling law. Here is a list of these states along with the private casino companies operating in each state and the casinos which they operate. There are about 35 privately owned casinos (BupriS) operated by ten companies.
Der Deutsche Spielbankenverband (DsbV. e.V.)- The Association of German Casinos
The DsbV e.V. is the Interest group of the public-law casinos of Germany. Germany’s state-licensed casinos and casinos play a pivotal role thanks to the its historical culture of play and their fiscal importance to public finances. The German casinos are divided into two groups of different legal forms: nine state-licensed casino societies at 35 locations are under public law. In 2017, they generated gross gaming revenue (BSE, revenue minus winnings, regular difference between betting stakes and player winnings) of € 320 million. Of this, 124 million euros went to the federal states as levies and taxes in favor of public interest. These public-law casinos include nine gaming companies in seven federal states with 28 locations, which are also licensed, but privately run.
The DSbV represents the concerns of the public-law welfare-oriented casinos. Its commitment includes player protection, gambling law, economic factor gambling, future technologies, internet and gambling.
All of Germany’s casinos are governed by a treaty – the GlüStV – which is a treaty among all 16 German federal states. The GlüStV was created as the federal uniform framework for the organization of games of chance. There are about 36 state owned casinos (DsBV) operated by nine state companies.
The DSbV represents nine state-licensed casino companies under public law with 35 locations in eight federal states (Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Brandenburg, Bremen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Saarland, Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein).
The ‘Glücksspielstaatsvertrag’ – GlüStV) – The State Treaty on Gambling in Germany
The State Treaty on Gambling in Germany (the State Treaty on Gaming, or the GlüStV for short) is an inter-state treaty between all 16 German states. It is a nationwide framework for the organization of gambling and games of chance. It entered into force in its original version on January 1, 2008. However, on December 31, 2011, the treaty ceased to be in force, as the prime ministers of the federal states had not agreed to continue its validity beyond this date. Nevertheless, the treaty’s essential provisions – with the exception of Schleswig-Holstein – continued to be provisions of state law throughout all states pending the entry into force of a new State Treaty. This was based on provisions in the implementing laws to the State Treaty in each federal state.
The First State Treaty on Gaming (1st GlüÄndStV) also came into force in 2012. It replaced the Second Gambling Amendment State Treaty (2nd GlüÄndStV) in 2018. However, its entry into force failed because not all federal states ratified it.
There are about 35 privately owned casinos (BupriS) operated by ten companies and 36 state owned casinos (DsBV) operated by nine state companies.
Germany’s Privately Owned Casinos (BupriS):
Here is a list of privately owned casinos in Germany along with a list of their branch casinos. In some instances, game information and other player requirements are given whenever available.
1. BERLIN: Spielbank Berlin GmbH & Co. KG
One (1) private casino company – The Spielbank Berlin GmbH & Co. KG – owns and operates four (4) of their branches in Berlin. The statutory minimum age is ___ years, The Spielbank Berlin is regulated by the Senate Department for Home Affairs and Sports. Here are its four branches: –
- Spielbank Berlin am Potsdamer Platz
- Spielbank Berlin am Los-Angeles-Platz | Ku’ Damm
- Spielbank Berlin – Ellipse am Rathaus Spandau
- Spielbank Berlin am Fernsehturm (the Berlin Television Tower).
2. HAMBURG: Spielbank Hamburg Jahr und Achterfeld KG
One (1) private casino company – Spielbank Hamburg Jahr und Achterfeld KG – operates all four (4) branches of its casinos in Hamburg. The statutory minimum age is 18 years. Visitors will need a valid identity card or passport. A driver’s license is unfortunately not sufficient. Admission is € 2 per person. Visitors are handed a ticket after they have been registered at the reception. The ticket allows access to the game rooms. The slot machine is located on the ground floor, while the classic games and the REDBLACK Lounge are on the first floor.
If players make a profit, it is customary to thank the croupier with a tip. For example, if a guest places a token on a number (plein), it is customary to give one token of profit (35 tokens) to the employees. The croupiers are (except for a guaranteed minimum salary by the casino) exclusively paid by the casino guests so make sure that you remember to tip them. There are tip boxes where players can show their appreciation and can leave contributions for the employees. These are located at the classic game tables and also at the slot machines casino are tip boxes. The staff of the casino are available at any time to assist guests. The first contact persons are the ladies and gentlemen at the reception. There, visitors will get detailed explanations of the games. In the gaming room, the gentlemen of the hall management are also at the visitors’ disposals to answer questions or attend to concerns. In the slot machine areas, the service employees and automation technicians are also there to help. The casino accepts cash. ATMs and credit cards are accepted and the usual fees for these are charged.
Here are the four (4) casino branches of the Spielbank Hamburg Jahr und Achterfeld KG and the various games that they offer: –
- Casino Esplanade: 8 American Roulette tables with a minimum bet of € 2.00, 1 French Roulette table with a minimum bet of € 2.00, 4 Black Jack tables with a minimum bet of € 10.00, 8 Texas Hold ‘Em tables with a minimum buy in of € 200.00, 1 Ultimate Texas Hold ‘Em table with a minimum buy in of € 2.00, over 130 slot machine games with jackpot machines, Min. Use: From € 0.01.
- Casino Steindamm: Only slot machines – over 70 slot machine games with jackpot machines, Min. bets: From € 0.01.
- Casino Mundsburg: Only slot machines – over 70 slot machine games with jackpot machines, Min. bets: From € 0.01.
- Casino Reeperbahn: 2 American Roulette tables with a minimum bet of € 2.00, 2 American style Black Jack tables with a minimum bet of € 5.00. Over 100 slot machine games with jackpot machines, Min. bets: From € 0.01.
Three (3) private casino companies operate a total of three (3) privately owned casinos in the state of Hessen.
3.1 SPIELBANK BAD HOMBURG
- François-Blanc-Spielbank GmbH Bad Homburg v.d. Höhe since 1841: Special Roulette game bets such as the ‘Bad Homburger Viertelchance Roulette’ with a payout of 3:1, American Roulette, Touch-Bet Roulette, special payout Black Jack games such as ‘Chance Blanc’ Black Jack (payout 3:1), Silver Jack and Gold Jack (2 cards with Hearts) with 77:1 and 300:1 payouts respectively; Free Bet Black Jack, Omaha Poker, Mystery Bonus Poker Tournaments, Progressive Jackpot tournaments.
3.2 SPIELBANK KASSEL (Kurhessische Spielbank)
- Spielbank Kurfürsten Galerie (redesigned): On 1,200 square meters, live game and slot games. 3 American Roulette tables, 2x Live Poker, a live online poker table with 10 seats and a “Novo Flying Black Jack” in the Classic Game. 250 slot machine games.
- Spielbank Bad Wildungen: Located in the historical rooms of the “Göbels Hotel Quellenhof”. A magnificent stucco ceiling and warm wall and ceiling colors convey a high-quality and pleasant atmosphere in the slot machine room. 83 different slot machines, Challenge bingo, poker, roulette or slot machines, multiplayer roulette for 8 players, as well as the latest game innovations of Novomatic AG and a number of other world-famous manufacturers.
3.3 SPIELBANK WIESBADEN
- Spielbank Wiesbaden: French Roulette, American Roulette, TouchBet Live Roulette, Die Wiesbadner Superzahl, Texas Hold’em No Limit Poker, Omaha Pot Limit Poker, No Limit Hold’em freeze out poker tournaments, Caribbean Poker, Progressive Jackpots for Ozzy Jackpot Maxi, Ozzy Jackpot Major, Duo Fu Duo Cai, Hyperlink, Hyperlink Grand, Hyperlink Major, Egypt Quest, Lock it Link Grand, Fu Gui Rong Hua, FlexiLink Grand, Power Mystery, Power Mystery Maxi, Power Mystery Midi, Bingo Mystery, Bingo Mystery Maxi, Money+to+Burn, Money+to+Burn+Lvl2, Joker JP and Lightning Link.
4. LOWER SAXONY
One (1) private casino company operates a total of 10 casinos across the state of Lower Saxony.
4.1 SPIELBANK NIEDERSACHSEN GmbH (10 casinos)
- Spielbank Bad Bentheim: Games: Classic American Roulette, Black Jack, 100 slot machines, including a state-of-the-art multi-roulette system, two home jackpot systems and many individual devices. The average payout rates of the machines are between 92 and 97 percent. Jackpot machines: Niedersachsen Jackpot (NDS Jackpot), Mermaid’s Spell, Loco Loot, Egypt Quest and Merkur Seven. Poker: Texas Hold’em, No Limit
- Spielbank Bad Harzburg: The range of games in Bad Harzburg includes 103 slot machines, the Niedersachsen jackpot with 6 slots, multiroulette with 12 play stations and 2 American roulette tables (minimum 1, – €). All this you will find centrally located in the most beautiful low mountain range of Germany and from every direction fast and easy to reach.
- Spielbank Bad Pyrmont: Multi Roulette (the electronic version of the classic roulette game with a real, but also another virtual pot). Can be played from a stake of 50 cents. More than 100 gaming machines, a modern multi-roulette system, various jackpots and additional promotions and events provide you with excitement and entertainment in a special atmosphere. The Bad Pyrmont casino has a large selection of individual devices, some of which can be played from just 1 cent per game. Among them are multi-game devices of the popular manufacturer Novomatic as well as other vending machines of the manufacturers, Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, EGT, Mercury Line Games, Novomatic, Orion, Shufflemaster and WMS. Jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, In the money Hyperlink Jackpot and Mercury Seven.
- Spielbank Bad Zwischenahn: Two floors of casino gaming. 180 slot machines, 4 roulette tables, 4 poker tables, 1 Black Jack table and 1 cubes table. Both levels offer a wide range of bars operated by Jagdhaus Eiden. Roulette: bet on simple odds (Red or Black, Even or Odd, Manque or Passe), on single numbers (Plein) or on number groups (e.g. Cheval, Carré etc.). Online Permissions – With Online Permanences players always have your numbers in view. Black Jack, Cubes – “CUBES” is a game of chance in which the players play against the bank. It is in Las Vegas in the most famous hotel casinos, z. In New York New York and Paris. “Cubes” can be described as a simplified form of popular in Asia dice games. Machines. From a one-armed bandit to a fully electronic multi-roulette, we offer you the complete world of slot machines with a total of 180 devices. For non-smokers, a selection of equipment is also set up on the ground floor! Multi-Roulette Bingo Bandits High Roller Reel Em In, Multi 3 Premier, Gaminator. Jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, Cash Express, Fu Gui Rong Hua and Mercury Seven. The whole of the slot machine room on the 1st floor is dedicated to smokers. Poker: Texas Hold Em, No Limit, Omaha and Pot Limit.
- Spielbank Göttingen: More than 90 gaming machines offering a diverse range of games. 4 VIP Lounge devices from Novomatic, a multi-roulette system, the Lower Saxony jackpot, our Fu-Gui-Rong-Hua, – as well as a Merkur Seven Jackpot system and a Blackjack machine. 40 multi-game devices of the popular manufacturer Novomatic, for example 7 Novostar machines and 10 Slantop devices. Furthermore, we have the latest equipment from the manufacturer EGT. Our offerings include machines from Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, IGT, Merkur and WMS. The machines have average payout rates of 92 to 97 percent. Jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, In the money Hyperlink Jackpot, Multi Win 8 and Mercury Seven. Player’s Card.
- Spielbank Hannover: Classic roulette, blackjack and poker, our range of games also offers more than 200 top-modern gaming machines on two levels. Every Thursday is Casino Day with special extra win opportunities. Friday cocktail specials, highest payout ratios (roulette 97.3%, blackjack 92%, machines over 94%). 123 gaming machines on an area of more than 1,000 square meters, including 18 multi-roulette machines, the Niedersachsen jackpot, four American roulette games, one blackjack, four Poker and an Easy Hold’em table. All gaming tables and 23 slot machines are located in the non-smoking area, the other machines in the smoking area. The Jackpot Casino offers a range of around 280 square meters. 82 slot machines including the Lower Saxony jackpot and 12 multi roulette machines. Smokers have 58 vending machines available in a separate area. Poker: Texas Hold’em, No Limit – Freezeout, Easy Hold ‘Em. Slots: Multi-Roulette, Bingo, Banditen, High Roller, Sphinx 3D and Novo Line. Multi-game devices of the popular manufacturer Novomatic as well as devices of the manufacturers Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, EGT, Merkur Line Games, Orion, Shufflemaster and WMS.
- Spielbank Norderney: Multi-Roulette, over 80 slot machines, the modern multi-roulette system and various jackpot system. Multi-game devices of the popular manufacturer Novomatic as well as devices of the manufacturers Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, EGT, Merkur Line Games, Orion, Shufflemaster and WMS.
- Spielbank Osnabruck: American-Roulette, Black Jack sowie Poker die Spielbank-Klassiker! Unser Automatenspiel wartet mit 112 modernsten Glücksspielautomaten inklusive Multi-Roulette-Anlage und Niedersachsen-Jackpot auf Sie. Slots: Multi-Roulette, Banditen, Sphinx 3D, VIP Lounge. Progressive jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, Loco Loot Jackpot, Cat4Cash and Mercury Seven. Player’s Card. Poker: Texas Hold’em, No Limit.
- AQUAMARIN Casino Seevetal: The multi-roulette, various slot machines, from the classic to the most modern equipment, several house jackpot systems and of course the Lower Saxony Jackpot. Multi-game devices of the popular manufacturer Novomatic as well as devices of the manufacturers Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, EGT, Merkur Line Games, Bally and WMS. Progressive jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, Loco Loot Jackpot, Fortune Queen and Underwater Odyssey.
- Spielbank Wolfsburg: 15 stations of multi-roulette, 57 slot machines, and of course the Lower Saxony Jackpot. Multi-game devices manufactured by Novomatic, Ainsworth, Aristocrat, Atronic, EGT, Merkur Line Games, Bally and WMS. Progressive jackpots: NDS Jackpot, Mermaid’s Spell, Loco Loot Jackpot, Cat4Cash and Mercury Seven. Player’s Card. No Poker, no roulette and no Black Jack games available.
One (1) private casino company operates a total of 4 casinos across the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
5.1 SPIELBANKEN MV GMBH & CO. KG
- Spielbank Stralsund – reopened on March 22nd 2018.
- Spielbank Neubrandenburg
- Spielbank Schwerin (opening soon)
- Spielbank Rostock (opening soon)
There are two (2) private casino operators in the Rheinland-Pflaz. Here are the operators and the list of casinos they manage: –
6.1 SPIELBANK BAD NEUENAHR (4 casinos)
- Spielbank Bad Neuenhar
- Spielbank Bad Dürkheim
- Spielbank Nürburgring – Ring Casino
6.2 SPIELBANK MAINZ (3 casinos)
- Bad Ems.
7. SACHSEN ANHALT
There is one (1) private casino operator in Sachsen Anhalt. It has two casinos operated by
7.1 MERKUR SPIELBANK SACHSEN-ANHALT GMBH & CO. KG
- Merkur Spielbank Leuna-Günthersdorf and
- Merkur Spielbank Magdeburg
- Merkur Spielbank Halle (Saale)
The Merkur Spielbank Leuna-Günthersdorf is a modern casino which opened in 2015 with table games, slots and poker. Merkur Spielbank Magdeburg opened in April 2016 with slots and poker. The Merkur Spielbank Halle (Saale). The Merkur Spielbank Halle (Saale) in the historic premises in Franckestraße 1 will have a soft opening in December 2018 and will open its doors officially in February of 2019.
Germany’s State Casinos
There are nine state licensed operators in Germany. They are all members of the Deutscher Spielbankenverband (DSbV) – (German Association of Casinos) and operate in eight federal states:-
- Baden-Württemberg has three state casinos operated by the Baden-Württembergische Spielbanken GmbH & Co. KG. They are located in: –
- Casino Baden-Baden
- Casino Konstanz and
- Spielbank Stuttgart – das Casino
- Bavaria has nine state casinos operated by the State Lotteries Administration Bavarian Spielbanken (Spielbanken Bayern). These are located in: –
- Spielbank Bad Füssing
- Spielbank Bad Kissingen
- Spielbank Bad Reichenhall
- Spielbank Bad Kötzting
- Spielbank Bad Steben
- Spielbank Bad Wiesse
- Spielbank Feuchtwangen
- Spielbank Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Spielbank Lindau
- Brandenburg – the Brandenburgische Spielbanken operates 2 casinos. They are located in Cottbus and Potsdam.
- The Jokers Garden (in Potsdam)
- Jokers Palace (in Cottbus)
- Bremen – has two casinos operated by Westspiel Casinos. The Bremen casino offers classic gaming and slots in an historic building on the banks of the river Weser and opened in 1980. Bremerhaven opened in 1982 on the river Weser. Their locations once again: –
- Casino Bremen
- Casino Bremerhaven
- North Rhine-Westphalia has four state casinos operated by Westspiel Casinos. These are located in: –
- Spielbank Aachen
- Casino Bad Oeynhausen
- Casino Duisburg
- Spielbank Dortmund-Hohensyburg
- Saarland has seven state casinos all operated by Saarland Spielbanken. They are located in: –
- Spielbank Saarbrucken
- Casino Schloss Berg
- Spielbank Neunkirchen
- Casino Ludwigspark
- Casino Glückspilz
- Casino Neunkirchen
- Casino Homburg
- Casino Saarlouis
- Saxony has three state casinos operated by Sachsen Spielbanken all offering bingo, poker, roulette and slots. They are located in: –
- Spielbank Leipzig
- Spielbank Dresden
- Spielbank Chemnitz
- Schleswig-Holstein has five casinos operated by Spielbank Schleswig Holstein (Spielbank SH GmbH) all offering table games and slots. These are located in: –
- Casino Flensburg
- Casino Kiel
- Casino Lübeck
- Casino Schenefeld
- Casino Sylt